Your Shopify store should be able to convert customers. The most difficult part of the whole process is getting customers to buy products. Shopify cross-sell and upsell apps can help you increase your average purchase value (AOV).
Cross-selling and upselling are both pricing and marketing strategies that can prove to be very effective. You are building on the momentum of the initial purchase and pushing the consumer further. You are simply saying I think this or What do you think about this product. These suggestions should be friendly and personalized for the online customer.
This is made easier by Shopify’s cross-sell and upsell apps. They also generate more precise recommendations and make it faster and more efficient. Optimizing the user interface (UX) will ensure that online shoppers spend more time in your store.
We will also discuss the GreenDropShip dropshipping application. This makes it easy to run a Shopify dropshipping shop and works with all cross-sell and upsell apps.
What is the difference between cross-selling and upselling?
You can increase conversions with cross-selling and upselling. This allows you to maximize each sale and get the AOV as high possible. It’s the old saying, “Make hay while you can.” If you have the chance to convince the customer to spend more money, then it is best to do so.
They are not the same thing, so let us break them down like this:
- Upselling-Incentive a customer to purchase a similar but more expensive item, such as an upgrade.
- Cross-selling-Offering customers a related product.
You’ve heard the classic upselling example a million times in a fast-food joint: Would it be nice to make that large?
You’ve probably also heard of cross-selling many times in the same fast food restaurant: Would fries be a good choice?
It is also important to distinguish pre-purchase from post purchase upselling and cross-selling. Pre-purchase is when you increase your AOV before the customer makes the purchase. This works especially well for products that are less expensive and have lower risk.
Post-purchase is when you can contact the online shopper to cross-sell or upsell. This can be done via email but you also have the option to use an upsell following the Checkout page.
It may surprise you, but post-purchase strategies can be very effective. They can boost revenues by 35% according to research from McKinsey & Company. A positive experience after a purchase is crucial for brand loyalty, according to more than 50% of consumers.
These two powerful pricing strategies and marketing strategies can make or break your Shopify store. These can all be customized 100% to your store if you use the right Shopify Upselling App.
Do I use upselling or cross-selling for my Shopify Store?
Your AOV should be high as most online shoppers won’t purchase anything. According to research, 2020, Ecommerce conversions in the US for all industries were just 2.63% and 1.6% respectively in Shopify stores.
Do not be discouraged by Shopify’s low conversion rate. Most merchants ignore these and the average is affected by their low figures. You can achieve a higher average conversion rate by using cross-selling and upselling apps.
Conversion is the most difficult part of the process. However, if you spend the time to design your Shopify store properly and offer a great UX (UX), online shoppers will spend more time in your store. Just like in a casino, online shoppers will spend more time in your store the more likely they will buy something.
Your inventory and your customers will also play a role in deciding whether you use cross-selling or upselling. Upselling is a great way of increasing AOV if you offer a variety of products from the budget to the premium version. According to research from Econsultancy upselling is 20x more effective than cross-selling
Cross-selling is also possible, but not all customers will respond well to upselling. Shopify cross-selling and upselling apps can be used to create widgets that appear in or . You can also buysections from any page, including the product page.
These are all about optimizingUX and getting customers back. It is easier to increase conversions and AOV for a customer who is already a customer than it is to find a new one. According to Marketing Metrics the likelihood of selling to:
- The cost of a new customer is between 5% and 20%.
- A customer who is still in business is between 60% and 70%.
Shopify apps can be used for cross-selling or upselling. You can also add functionality to help you implement other strategies. We’ll be covering some of these below.
Shopify: How to Cross-Sell and Upsell
It is crucial that once a customer has made that important first purchase, and that they had a positive experience with the product, that you maximize conversion. It’s like the old saying, “Stick while the iron is hot!” There is an opportunity to increase your AOV. Follow these simple tips.
Make product bundles
You can always try product bundle. According to the Financial Post product bundling can be used as a pricing strategy or a marketing tool. It may include upselling and cross-selling. This basically means that you create “bundles” from different items. It makes the customer feel like they are “getting a deal”.
These are the benefits of properly using product bundles:
- A rise in conversions and average order value (AOV).
- Comparison shopping with your competitors is less because you only offer these bundles.
- Combining lesser-known items with more popular products can increase sales.
Shopify cross-sell and upsell apps let you create bundles to increase your AOV. However, there are Shopify apps which focus on bundling.
These are the four types of product bundles that you can use within your Shopify store.
1. Starter Pack
Also known as this,this can be used as an introductory product bundle. An Aromatherapy Starter Kit may include essential oils, a diffuser and essential oil recipes. It can also include a few beauty products. It should not be too expensive since it is a starter kit. This is just an introduction.
The starter pack/sampler can be customized even further. You can choose to have the Home Aromatherapy Starter Kit with a full-sized diffuser and larger items. The Car Aromatherapy Starter Kit can have a diffuser for your car and less items. This makes it ideal for beginners.
2. Create Your Own
A mix and match is also known.this product bundle relies on customer input and choice. Although it is simpler than a sampler or starter, this option is best for customers with greater knowledge about the products.
Online shoppers can create a bundle that allows them access to a variety of products at a reduced price. This will encourage them to return for more. The Make your Own Hair Care Sampler may include a shampoo, conditioner, hair treatment, spray, gel, and hair treatment at a reduced price.
Cross-selling is possible here. Cross-selling is possible if the customer has a group of products. Some of these items may be forgotten or even not even exist. This cross-selling strategy can be used to help customers choose lesser-known products.
3. Bundle for Groups
This type of cross-selling displays similar products. You can find it on Amazon in the following sections:
- Commonly Bought Together
- Customers who bought this item also purchased
- Products Similar to This Item
These are just a few examples of the many available at Amazon.
This strategy works well, but it is best to make it sound friendly. In a brick-and mortar store, a clerk might say, “If you like this shirt, you’re going to love this tie!” They are perfect together.
Shopify’s upsell app includes a feature that automatically generates recommendations based on your store’s order history. This will make it a lot easier to set these recommendations manually, which would take a lot of time.
Shopify’s AI will keep track of customer orders so that recommendations can be made more accurately and are closer to what customers want. This is especially important as cross-selling and upselling becomes more efficient over time. Research has shown that while first-time buyers are almost 30% more likely to return to their purchase, the percentage of repeat customers after their second or threerd purchase nearly doubles to more than 50%.
4. Buy One, Get One
BOGO, also known as buy-one-get one-free, is a very popular and efficient bundling strategy. According to latest research, more than 65% of consumers consider buy-one get-one free their favorite deal. A BOGO promotion is a deal that consumers love. More than 90% have used it at least once.
Another variation of the BOGO strategy is to give one item in the bundle as a “free gift”. This increases sales and makes customers feel more valued. This marketing strategy and pricing strategy can make a huge difference in the user experience (UX). This is what it all boils down to: Maximizing UX so customers return. Keep in mind that customers will buy more if they are loyal to you for longer periods of time.
A Infosys survey revealed that 86% consumers believe personalization has an influence on their buying decision. This can increase your AOV. Around 40% of respondents said that personalization helped them upgrade their purchase. Personalization is a term that means the recommendations you make are tailored to the individual consumer.
It all boils down to user experiences (UX). Let’s take a look at a brick-and mortar retail store. You want to be able to chat with the clerk when you visit a brick-and-mortar retail store to browse. Even if it is only a brief conversation, it is important that they make an effort to establish a connection. Many consumers enjoy the personal connection with the clerks, but most hate feeling unreachable and anonymous.
Personalized upselling and cross-selling can create this feeling.
Shopify’s upselling apps include an AI (AI) feature that scans your order history to find the most relevant items. It can also scan the customer’s past purchases and make recommendations based upon their buying history.
If they buy vegan protein powder the app will detect their interest in: a), fitness products, and b) vegan items. The app can then suggest other products that satisfy one or both of the criteria, depending on how you set it. This could include wheatgrass shots and vegan protein bars. It can also scan customer information to make recommendations based on it. It will suggest products that are targeted at males if they’re male.
Do not increase your AOV.
The key to any sales tactic is to find the “Goldilocks zone”: not too aggressive but not too passive. While you want to be able to interact with customers, you also don’t want them to become frustrated or irritable. Remember: The user experience (UX) is the most important aspect! Your customers will likely not like a sales tactic if you don’t like it as a shopper.
A positive UX means that customers feel that the recommendations you make are tailored to them and not a sales pitch. You’ve spent hours choosing a car and now the salesperson pushes you for an upgrade. This will almost double the price of the car. You will likely be quite annoyed.
Customers will be turned off if your cross-sell or upsell pitch is too aggressive. Shopify’s upsell app should be set to not suggest products that will increase the order value by more then 25%. If the original product that the customer is interested in is $100, then you should avoid upsells or cross-sells that are more expensive than $25. This can all be modified in the Shopify upsell app.
Send an email to reach out
It is important to communicate with customers. Email is the best way for you to get back to them. Follow-up emails can be sent days, or even weeks after the purchase to facilitate cross-selling and upselling.
Post-purchase is when you should contact the online shopper to cross-sell or upsell. You can send an email to the shopper, but not too often. They will find it spammy and dislike aggressive sales tactics, much like a telemarketer who won’t take “No” from them.
There are several benefits to implementing post-purchase cross-selling via follow-up email.
- There is no chance that you will lose the original purchase or conversion.
- To increase your AOV, you can use impulse purchasing.
- Conversion rates will increase if you use cross-sell and one-click upsell.
There are a few types of emails that you can send.
- Thank you message – customers may spend more because of the grateful effect
- Request a product/store review. Upsell apps can be integrated with Shopify ReviewApps.
- Reminder to remind them to stockpile daily-use products like vitamins.
- Seasonal reminders Try cross-selling products that match the season.
- Loyalty programs – Use the AI-powered recommendations for personalized offers.
- Let consumers know about new products by launching a product
Shopify’s upsell apps let you customize how you want to do upselling or cross-selling. Please read the last section for a complete list of Shopify’s top upsell apps.
Top 6 Shopify Cross-Sell and Upsell Apps
These are the top Shopify cross-sell and upsell apps you can find in Shopify App Store. These apps often include additional strategies to increase AOV such as product bundling or AI-powered product recommendations.
They are even more effective when they offer 1-click upsell functionality. It’s all about reducing the time between the cross-sell or upsell and the customer making the purchase online. Consider how common phone payments have become. People don’t like reaching into their pockets to get cash or cards. It’s simple, so make it easy to purchase.
Bold Upsell provides a 14-day free trial. You can choose to keep using the app for a 14-day trial.
- Increase conversions and your Average Order Value (AOV) by optimizing conversions
- In just minutes, you can set up and begin upselling or cross-selling immediately.
- You can choose where you want to offer online shoppers.
- Your Shopify store design should match your cross-sells and upsells.
- Offer customers an upselling option.
- Upselling: Offer a product package or kit containing a single product.
- Cross-selling is when you show the customer complementary products they might like.
The ReConvert Upsell & Cross-sell Shopify App offers a free 30-day trial. This gives you ample time to test the app and determine if it improves your AOV. You can select from three pricing options if it works well for you Shopify store: free (only 50 orders per months), $7.99/month or $14.99/month or $29.99/month.
- You don’t need any web design or programming experience.
- You can quickly and easily design your Order Status Page.
- You can also use the handy landing page builder to increase your conversions.
- Smart upsells can increase your Thank You page’s revenue.
- ReConvert app allows you to checkout upsell and post-purchase upsell as well as product bundles and cross-sel .
- It is easy to offer customers personalized recommendations using the app widget.
- You can choose from pre-designed templates or create your own.
- Integrates with 17track tracking, Klaviyo and Loox, SMSBump and MailChimp.
The Shopify upsell app, which includes recommendations and cross-selling, comes with a 30-day trial. This gives you ample time to test it out and find out how it affects your average orders value (AOV), and store performance. You can also choose from the following plans: FREE (up to 1000 orders), $9.99/month (1,001 to 10,000 orders), and $19.99/month (1,099 to 10,000 orders).
- You can increase your conversion rate by displaying recommendations as bundles on product pages.
- The app’s AI is trained with over 1+ billion orders/100,000,000 products to make recommendations that are highly personal.
- More than 200,000 Shopify merchants have generated over $1.5 billion.
- Amazon’s layout allows you to add many related products in one click.
- To increase trust among customers in Shopify, show ratings from the most widely used review apps.
- Shopify’s user interface can be customized to suit any theme.
The Shopify cross-sell and upsell app has a seven-day free trial. Although it may not be enough time to see a difference in conversions or sales, it is enough to get an overview of the app’s functionality. There are also several plans: Free (upto 100 views per month), $49.99/month (2,00 views), $99.99/month (5,00 views), and $149.99/month (100,00 views).
Although it might seem costly, many Shopify merchants consider it worthwhile to invest in Shopify’s upsell app. These can make a big difference in your AOV and increase conversion rates.
- The most effective way to increase sales without increasing traffic
- It is easy to add upsells and cross-sells to any part of the sales funnel, Thank Youpage or Checkout.
- You can display up to three targeted cross-sells offers by selecting triggers for each funnel. This improves accuracy and makes recommendations more accurate.
- An AI engine scans your Shopify order history to suggest upsell/cross-sell opportunities.
- Amazing and responsive layout for any device, mobile or not.
- Upsell funnels can be used for post-purchase, cart pages, product pages, checkout pages, and blog posts.
- Shopify themes can be integrated with this plugin to help you maintain your brand identity through design.
The Shopify upsell app allows cross-selling through personalized product recommendations. You can test it for 30 days free of charge so that you can see how it integrates with Shopify. You can choose from four plans if you notice an increase in conversions: Free (upto 50 monthly orders), $7.99/month, up to 100 orders, $14.99/month, or $19.99/month for 200+ orders.
- To give personalized recommendations and increase sales, use 1-click upsell
- Include Most Frequently Bought Together bundle/warranty upgrades, volume discounts, sticky cart drawer, and volume discounts.
- Cart upsell and cross-sell using product recommendations, discounts or bundles, either manually or via the app’s AI.
- You can increase your AOV or recharge customers with quantity discounts, bundle promotions, or other features.
- Shopify’s easy-to-use upsell app instantly increases revenue by 20%
- A wide range of widgets are available that can be customized to fit your Shopify store’s brand.
- Shopify themes can be integrated and look great on all devices, including mobiles, and in any resolution.
This Shopify upsell app is completely free, unlike the others. This means that there is no trial fee, no monthly fees, setup cost, or commission. Although it doesn’t offer as many features or the extensive functionality of other cross-sell and upsell apps, Shopify users can still use it to test its impact on their Shopify store conversions.
- Automatically generated personalized upsell and cross-sell suggestions.
- Based on Amazon’s upsell feature.
- Free widgets for your homepage, product pages and cart pages.
- Three recommendation algorithms are used in this design.
- These most popular products and most expensive products are also included.
- Compatible with all Shopify themes & 100% mobile-friendly
Dropshipping offers many benefits
- Dropshipping is an easy way to start your business. It’s a great idea for people who are looking to test out new business models without spending too much upfront.
- It can be done from your home. You don’t need to have a lot of space to store your inventory so you don’t have to worry too much about setting up storage.
- It’s flexible. It allows you to choose the dropshipping supplier that you wish to use for your online shop. You decide the price of products and the profit margin.
Dropshipping is not for everyone
- Profit margins are often low. It all depends on the product you sell. Also, you need to consider the prices of your competitors to establish a price that is competitive but still allows you to make a profit.
How do I locate dropshipping suppliers
There are many online platforms that offer dropshipping services to sellers in Spain. Do your research, compare suppliers and read reviews from dropshippers who have worked with them before. A healthy business relationship will be established if both sides have open and regular communication. Be aware of scams and choose a provider that you trust.
How can I manage dropshipping returns
Dropshipping companies in Spain usually allow returns. It all depends on who you are working with. Check the terms and conditions you have established with your supplier. Are there deadlines or other requirements for returning the goods?
The following is how the return process works in most cases:
- Customer requests a full refund.
- Please provide all necessary instructions for returning items (these can vary depending on how you shipped and who the supplier is).