Did you know that the expression “jack-of-all trades, master of none” is used? This means that a generalist can perform all tasks competently, while specialists can do them well. This is also true if you sell online.
It is possible to establish credibility by creating a niche marketing strategy before positioning yourself as the brand of choice for typical customers. This will help you to build trust and create more focused businesses. Your niche is the best place to start when you’re thinking about your first item idea. With the many niches available, you have more options to choose from. It is important to identify a niche market that you can master and have valuable customers.
What is a niche market exactly?
This section will explain more about the niche market. This market is one of the most important segments in a larger market. It can then be defined by its unique needs, preferences or identity.
There are many niches and segments in the market for women’s footwear. Shoes for vegan women may be a niche market, as can shoes for plus-size women, transgendered women, or shoes for nurses. These are all niche markets within the vast market for women’s footwear.
Every market can be further divided or refined according to the preferences and needs of its constituents. You can also use some of the most widely used methods to help you create a niche.
- Price (luxury or moderate discount)
- Demographics (gender and income level, education level or the age)
- Geographics are the names of cities, people, and areas in a country or region.
- Quality (economy, premium, handmade)
- Psychographics (interests and attitudes, or values)
Focusing on a niche is a better choice than focusing on the larger market.
Why is niche important for eCommerce?
We all know there are many eCommerce online shops. If you are small or medium-sized, it is possible that you don’t have the resources to compete for each market. It is smarter and more resourceful to pick up a market segment, then invest in your resources. If you’re successful, you may be able to expand into another niche and build your own market.
Niche clients will shop in the same fashion patterns, making it easy to plan what products to sell and how to market them. This will help you reduce storage costs and trickle down to your business by decreasing hard-to-sell inventory.
The bottom line is that understanding your customers will help you optimize your sales strategies. To increase your business’ success, you can tailor deals, pricing and sales techniques like upselling to specific customer types.
Because of the benefits it brings, niches are essential for eCommerce:
- Optimizing production selection: If your products are relevant to your market, you will have a greater chance of selling them and less guesswork when deciding what items to offer.
- Optimized Pricing: because your client base is smaller, you can use sales analytics to determine the matching prices.
- Easy brand management: With more targeted products, there might be fewer listings and even fewer channels. This makes it easier to manage your entire brand.
- More effective and relevant content: It is actually easier to create your valuable content if you cater to each group’s preferences, which is much better than trying to please everyone at once.
- A sense of community: By targeting common niches, you will be able to build customer loyalty and more personal relationships.
- Precision online advertising: You can use SEO keywords to target specific group behaviors, which is better than using group behaviors.
- Lower storage charges: Items turn out faster because you can better predict your top sellers and have less chance of having pipelines blocked with “duds”.
- Less expensive campaigns: Target fewer marketers which means that you have to target fewer people, do less market research and produce less content.
The Best Shopify Niches and Products to Sell Online
You might be a trending item and you should keep these in mind. However, it is possible to increase your success by starting with a niche market and then digging down to find niche products with potential market-fit. This section will show you how to find 17 Best Shopify niches, and which products are best to sell online.
This list of niches ideas can be used to assist you in your search for niche markets. You are also allowed to refer in a different direction, or to find other niche opportunities for each type.
1. Products that are vegan and eco-friendly
Sustainability is becoming a hot topic among customers, something you may not be aware of. Neilson conducted a survey and found that 48 percent of Americans would consider changing their consumption habits to reduce the impact on the environment.
These conscious customers have led to the creation of eco-friendly, vegan and cruelty-free versions of many traditional items. If an item is popularly purchased by large markets, it will likely that there will be a niche of conscious buyers who are ready to embrace the next generation.
In truth, some businesses that were looking for niche marketing gave a portion to charities back in the day. However, customers are more concerned about where their products come from and how they are made.
Bee’s Wrap, for example, is looking to replace plastic wrap with options made from Beewax. Because they are both useful and reusable, this alternative to food storage is more environmentally friendly than the traditional.
These are some niche product ideas for conscious consumers:
- Reusable drinking straws
- Cosmetics that are cruelty-free
- Vegan-friendly clothing
- Cups for menstruation
The 2019 total expenditures of pet businesses in the U.S. is estimated at 75.38 billion. There are still many opportunities to create a niche market in this market, with different lifestyles and different types of pets.
Patricia’s Couture is a market leader in this area. They sell personalized pillows, blankets and kaftans as well as other products that can be customized with your pet’s image. There are also other unique pets available for people who have dogs, cats or fish. These include lizards and horses, chickens, turtles, and even chickens.
These are some niche product ideas for pet owners:
- Pet cameras allow you to interact with your pets even if they are far away
- GPS pet trackers
- Personal items featuring pet’s photos
- Organic pet food and treats
- Accessories and clothing for pets
The times have changed for homeowners. The cases are no longer relevant and the number of U.S. customers who own homes is declining. There are many reasons this could be, such as an increase in the cost to live or a decrease in salaries that make it impossible for people to continue their lives.
The definition of homeownership is changing, and not only is homeownership declining, but so are the chances of getting one. With the rise of Airbnb and VRBO, homes can be turned into an investment property.
August has now been able to offer its keyless entry service, as well as home security products for homeowners, through this. One of the key features of this app is guest access. This allows hosts to gain access to different renters for a specific time period.
Ideas for niche items for homeowners include:
- You can have home security cameras that include smart home devices, doorbells and in-home devices.
- Furniture and home decor for smaller apartments
- Renters can find home solutions like no-drill blinds
Remote workers and freelancers
These two factors are responsible for the large increase in freelance workers and remote workers. There are a few reasons why this is happening. First, employees can work remotely to improve job productivity and customer satisfaction. These workers are two-times more likely to work over 40 hours per week and are therefore more engaged. Those who are able to work for themselves can enjoy greater freedom and better work-life balance.
Freelancers at work is a great example of companies that provide items to help freelancers attract potential customers. You can also sell laptop stickers to promote your work. You can help them identify your ideas and support them.
These are some great product ideas for remote workers:
- Desk decorations or toys
- Home office decor
- Coffee shop accessories for laptops
The online travel industry has seen an increase in sales to more than 10 percent in 2018. This is a result of the USD 694,41 trillion already sent. With the decreasing cost of air travel over the past three decades, it is possible to reach more people, from business travelers to remote workers.
The way that clients approach travel is also changing. Travelers are becoming more conscious of their environment. According to
Booking.com, more than half of travelers are looking for sustainable options but have difficulty finding them. This grab will provide a huge opportunity for brands to support eco-friendly ideas and step by step. Green products are what travelers want. They are also looking for authentic experiences, long-term travel, and convenience.
CNN reports that by 2021 half of the U.S. and U.K workforce will be freelancers. There will also be at least 40 percent more home-schooled children in 2017 than 2014. This will allow you to create more immersive experiences, especially for remote workers who can leverage their flexible jobs to reach outside the country.
These are some of the niche product ideas that travelers can use to make their lives easier:
- For content generation on the go, you can use your smartphone accessories
- Regular passengers will appreciate the comfort and convenience of athleisure
- Scratch maps are for people who enjoy traveling and want to gain more experience
The term “Gamers”, which is a broad term, includes many subsets like console gamers and table-top gamers. Over 2.3 billion gamers are still active worldwide. Nearly half of them spend money on their favorite games and this adds USD 137.9 million to the industry’s total revenue in 2018.
Shazim Mohammad started his online store, Glorious PC gaming Race. It sold items specifically for PC gamers. Mobile gaming is a major player and accounts for 91% of the market. Games aren’t just for men; they also appeal to women. The market is growing rapidly and there are no signs of it slowing down. This category allows you to narrow down your market based on the most popular genres and consoles.
These niche product ideas are for gamers:
- Gaming equipment, such as chairs, controllers and blue-light blocking glasses, can be ergonomically designed to make gaming more comfortable.
- Personalize consoles and controllers with decals
- Accessory for mobile gamers
- T-shirt references to gamer culture
Some of the world’s most powerful brands now accept local marketing strategies via targeted campaigns. Here’s the truth: They compete with local customer-driven movements to help local businesses.
It might not be easy to establish local presences if you sell online. Online eCommerce sellers can participate in the movement by searching their city or country as niche markets.
For example, Apparel Enterprises Peace Collective was founded in Toronto pride and Toronto. It has expanded to appeal to Canadians as well as fans of other NBA teams.
Locals have many niche product ideas:
- T-shirts featuring slogans that are specific to a particular city or culture
- Prints or photobooks of a particular cityscape
There is another place where convenience and eating well are both important. The eCommerce market is growing rapidly. Pre-planned meal delivery can be arranged to deliver well-prepared meals directly to your home. In 2021, it is expected that more people will be able to prepare their own meals. Plated, for instance, is a service that allows you to cook your meals at home without the hassle of shopping. It also helps you avoid ordering unhealthy food and limiting your shipment. This nice can be used to support different sub-niches, such as a particular type of cuisine. Part of the appeal is the inclusion of meals prepared by different professional chefs.
Accessory for your smartphone
Smartphones, as well as other mobile devices, have reached unprecedented levels. This is enough to support smaller submarkets like accessories for smartphones. While not all smartphone owners have a smartphone, and not all smartphone owners purchase accessories, there is a niche market that wants to customize their smartphones and make them more efficient.
There is a lot of demand for traditional accessories for smartphones, but we now know that there are many “next-level tech” for customers who need more. BodyGuardz has tempered glass protectors to provide more protection than the cheap plastic ones.
The fashion industry has always been associated with luxury brands and exclusivity models. However, many consumers today are eager to make minimal and handcrafted jewelry. This trend is driven by a stylistic preference. Simple jewelry is currently “in”
Minimalist jewelry is not an untapped market. However, it is gaining more attention. This niche is also established and is no longer in fashion. Etsy has a channel dedicated to this niche. If you are a fashion eCommerce seller and want to get into the niche, then you will need to improve your social media skills, usually Instagram. This is where all serious marketing for jewelry takes place.
How do you source niche products?
Selecting niches is half the battle. You also need to manage your eCommerce responsibilities such as product sourcing and streamlining your supply chain. It doesn’t matter what niche you choose. There are still many opportunities, as there are many product sourcing options. If you are new to the eCommerce platform, you will find the following list of common items sourcing methods and links to guides that outline the best practices.
- Wholesales – Wholesales is a traditional method of product sourcing. You can buy items in bulk for a low price and then store them until you sell them.
- Subscribe Box: Subscribe Box is a collection of items that are paid monthly. This is more efficient than per-sale model. This option is a popular choice for niche marketing because it’s easy to predict your clients preferences.
- liquidation: liquidation allows you to purchase bulk items from other stores, which can be a great way to save money on your purchases, especially if they are going out of business.
- Private Label and White Label: These products were produced by another third-party. However, you can rebrand them and sell them yourself if branding is a priority in your sales strategy.
- Retail Arbitrage. Retail arbitrage can be fueled by elbow grease and personal efforts. You can go to the store and purchase products at a discount price. Then, you can resell them online using your profit margin.
- Dropshipping While you can sell your products online, the manufacturer will handle shipping. While you may make less per sale, you can still manage your eCommerce duties.
- Artist: Artsans refers to handcrafted products that are created by many specialists but not manufacturers. You can find more details in a niche category, such as handmade furniture or handmade jewelry.
- Second-hand, or used commodity: You can also sell used items in the retro and affordable niches.
How To Choose A Winning Niche
You are interested in starting an ecommerce business that is profitable. These are the steps you should take when searching for a profitable niche for your business.
Make sure the Niche Is Digital-Friendly
First, ensure your chosen niche is digital-friendly. This means that you must ensure that your chosen niche can support e-products. These are items that can be bought, downloaded, streamed, or sold online. These products are easily created for any niche. You can cover finance, dating, weight loss or health. All you have to do is find the right information about how to make your niche products digital-friendly.
Keep your eyes open for the latest trends
One of the best ways to identify a niche is to piggyback on the latest trends. Probiotics, folding bicycles, and other eco-friendly products continue to be in high demand and show great growth potential.
The main point to remember is that not all trendy products are of lasting value. Popularity and search traffic are the two main metrics in ecommerce that will quickly give you an idea of the product’s value.
You can use Google Keyword Planner and Facebook Audience Insight as quick tools to determine the popularity and market size of your chosen niche. Facebook Audience Insight, a Facebook marketing tool that provides detailed information on specific target markets and allows you to define your target market before you launch your product, is free but extremely useful.
Google Keyword Planner is the best tool to determine and measure how popular a search term (commonly known as keywords) is with Google searchers. Sign up and type in your keyword phrase or target keyword to get a complete analysis of online trends.
You can see that popularity and audience information are important when selecting a niche for your Shopify store. These data types often reveal important details about consumer buying habits and trends. These metrics can help you to identify potential green niches and provide you with a roadmap for optimizing your online store from the beginning.
Take advantage of your interests
You may be surprised to learn that your passions can make you a successful business. Your passion could be your best start point to finding a profitable niche. The Kula Cloth brand is based on the need to eliminate toilet paper waste outdoors and in nature.
Know your competition
Once you have a clear idea of the winning niche for your company, it is time to research the competitive landscape. There is a good chance that someone selling the same product as you will find, but that doesn’t necessarily mean your business will be left behind.
This is why it’s important to do thorough research on your niche and identify your top competitors. Also, note any ways you can differentiate your niche product. This will give you a competitive advantage. It might even include a reduced shipping time.
If there are only a few competitors in a niche, it usually means that it is tested, profitable, and worthwhile to target. You’ll often rank faster and have more options to differentiate your niche products. Small businesses can benefit from highly competitive niche markets if they are looking to make a profit through affiliate marketing or promotional offers.
Your niche market selection is a key factor in eCommerce success. Your online store will be able to reach the right customers for your niche products. However, if you choose the wrong niche, it could cause serious problems for your business and entrepreneurial spirit. You can take the time to read this guide and choose a profitable niche for your Shopify store. You can read the guide and choose a niche that interests you from the ten ecommerce niches.