An important part of an online store is the domain. A domain is like an online home. Your Shopify store will have a domain. This establishes your brand and lets customers know you are here. You can rank higher in search results by using similar keywords in your industry. It also allows you to keep your business top of mind and help them remember you. Learn more about how to choose a domain name
Shopify makes it simple to transfer domains from Shopify. They also help you to find the perfect website. How do you do this? You will learn all the steps in our article.
What is a domain?
The URL, or website address, is also known as a domain. It’s where customers will go to find you online.
You can manage your domain settings from your Shopify admin . If you use the wholesale channel, you can manage your domain settings on the
Your primary domain will be ser in the form of
examplestore.myshopify.com by default.
- Note You can choose which domain you would like to buy and then decide to purchase it. You retain ownership even if Shopify is closed.
How Shopify can manage your domain
Shopify allows you to manage all domain settings via the Domains page from your Shopify admin.
The primary domain is the Shopify domain that customers see when they visit your online store. You can use your root domain and a subdomain to be your primary domain in certain cases. However, it is not possible to use the same primary domain in all cases.
You can assign your primary domain from the Domains page in your Shopify admin. Before you set your primary domain, ensure that these actions have been completed.
- Shopify allows you to purchase domains from third-parties or through Shopify.
- Add your domain and any subdomains that you wish to use in your store
- Setting up your root domain
- Setting up subdomains
How do I buy a domain through Shopify?
You probably know what a domain means and have made the decision to purchase one to allow your customers to visit your shop. Shopify offers a useful function that lets you buy a domain, even if you don’t have one.
How to transfer domain to Shopify
It is easier than you think to transfer domains. It is necessary to disconnect the domain from the original provider, and then connect it with the new one. To avoid any complications when migrating your website, you can hire Shopify experts.
This article will cover the transfer process of some of the most popular webhosting services.
How do I transfer my domain name to another host?
First prepare your domain for transfer before you move it to another host. With a few exceptions, most hosting providers have a standard disconnection procedure. This is how you should do it:
- Disconnect your domain name registrar to unlock it
- After the process is completed, you will be issued an authorization code (also known by an EPP code/transfer key).
- Check that your domain name has valid contact information, especially if it is unique. During the transfer process, your current registrar could use the administrator’s contact details.
- Follow the steps provided by your hosting provider to transfer Shopify’s domain to another host.
Not all domain transfers are allowed by service providers. Your domain must have been used on a paid plan at least 60 calendar days after it was created/transferred. You should also ensure that your domain does not exceed its maximum term. For most TLDs, the maximum term is ten years. Transfers will not be allowed until domain eligibility is restored.
Transferring your domain is easy, as we have already mentioned. The domain must be unlocked from its current host and authorized for the transfer to the new one. This article will provide more information about some of the most popular hosting services.
There is another aspect to domain transfer that most people overlook. Is it possible to move your website as well as all data? Migrating a website can cause problems such as lost data or design incompatibility. Folio is a Shopify web developer specialist that can help you avoid these issues. These companies provide Shopify migration services that include design and support after sales.
Transfer Shopify domains to GoDaddy
GoDaddy is a leading platform for web hosting that is used by global entrepreneurs. GoDaddy boasts a large customer base of over 20 million and is growing.
You can transfer your Shopify domains to GoDaddy by following these steps:
- After completing the necessary steps, you can search for the domain desired on the GoDaddy website.
- A green checkmark will appear next to the words “Unlock your domain” if you are successful in unlocking it.
- Next, enter the authorization code that you have received from your current registry and click Continue.
- Click Continue to select the privacy options you prefer.
- Select the payment method you prefer, then click “Complete Purchase” to complete the purchase.
Connect Your GoDaddy Domain to Shopify
Shopify, as we all know is an all-in one platform for online sellers. Shopify offers the option to purchase your own domain name. If you have an existing domain name from another Internet domain registrar, such as GoDaddy, you can transfer it to Shopify.
You can transfer domains to Shopify and manage them through Shopify. This means you can adjust your domain settings, pay your domain fee, and renew your domain in your Shopify admin. Shopify doesn’t offer email accounts, but it does provide unlimited email forwarding accounts to your domain name.
Let us now show you how to automatically transfer your GoDaddy domain into Shopify.
1. Access the Shopify Admin is what you first need to do. Login to your Shopify account at http://www.shopify.com.
2. To view all sections, click the Online Store sales channel to the left. Then, click Domains.
3. To connect an existing GoDaddy domain to our server, click on the Connect Existing Domain button.
4. The next step is to enter the domain name you previously purchased. After you have entered your domain name, click Next.
5. Shopify will detect the internet domain registrar you used automatically. Click the Connect Automatically button to have Shopify detect your internet domain registrar automatically.
6. Sign in to your GoDaddy Account. Sign in with the login details from the place you bought the domain name.
7. GoDaddy will inform you that the domain will be removed from their DNS records, and it will be changed to Shopify’s DNS records. To make the changes, click on the blue Connect button.
8. The website will be confirmed as a Shopify domain by receiving a Success confirmation. To return to Shopify, click the Close button.
Shopify will verify your GoDaddy domain connection. The green callout will inform you that your domain has been connected to Shopify.
9. Next, make sure your customer visits your domain and not Shopify’s branded domain. Click on the Change Primary Domain link, select your domain name and then click Save.
Now you have connected your Domain to your Shopify account. This is how to connect an existing GoDaddy domain to Shopify.
Wix: Transfer Shopify domains to Wix
Wix, an Israeli software company, offers a top-notch website building and eCommerce platform. Wix has over 180 million users in 190 countries. It offers a variety of professional design tools and management tools that will help you create a beautiful and functional website. Follow these steps to transfer your Shopify domain from Shopify to Wix:
- Log in to your Wix account first.
- Navigate to the Domains Section of your Wix account Settings.
- Click on Start Transfer to enter the domain that you wish to transfer.
- Select the domain’s source from the drop-down menu and then click Continue
- Make sure that you are logged into your domain hosting site. Click “I logged In” to access your Wix account.
- After ensuring that the domain is unlocked by your current service provider, click “I Unlocked It”;
- Click continue to enter the authorization code
- You should select a minimum of a year-long extension period before you continue.
- Verify your contact details and choose a privacy option (i.e. Public or Private;
- Next, choose your payment method and click “Submit Purchase”.
Transfer Shopify domains to Squarespace
Squarespace is a subscription-based Content Management System (CMS), that provides website design, eCommerce, and analytics tools. Follow these steps to transfer your Shopify domain into Squarespace.
- As usual, you must first unlock your domain and obtain the authorization code from the current registrar.
- Next, go to Settings > Domains in the “Home Menu”;
- Next, select ‘Use domain I own’ from the source options.
- Click Continue to enter your domain name into the Domain Name field.
- Next, click on ‘Transfer Squarespace’
- Enter the authorization code into the field, and then click Continue.
- Next, ensure that Squarespace is listed as the CNAME in your DNS settings.
- Check and confirm your registration details.
- Next, enter your billing information. Click ‘Transfer.
After the transfer is complete, you will be able to monitor the status of your domain transfers in the Domains section. In the status field, you will see “Transfer Pending”. Depending on the domain provider, transfers can take anywhere from 24 hours to 15 day to complete.
Squarespace will not accept domains that have been expired for nine years or more. The service provider also does not accept domains with registry premium expiry dates.
Transfer Shopify domains to WordPress
WordPress is a PHP-based open source CMS that can be used with either a MySQL database or MariaDB database. WordPress allows for a simple website design that requires minimal programming. This is how to transfer Shopify’s domain to WordPress.
- Do the first thing to unlock your domain from the current registrar. Next, get the authorisation code.
- If you have multiple WordPress websites, ensure you log in to the right one.
- Next, click ‘My Sites,’ then ‘Manage,’ and finally, ‘Domains.
- Next, look for the button titled “Add a domain name to this site” and click it.
- Next, select the “Use domain I own” option.
- To begin the process, click the link ‘Transfer to WordPress.com’ on the next page.
- Click ‘Transfer’ to enter the domain name that you wish.
- If you’re creating a new site with this transfer, you can proceed to checkout. You can then restart the process starting from step 3. If not, go to step 9.
- After ensuring that your domain is open, click the “I’ve Unlocked My Domain” button.
- Next, enter your authorization code in the provided field and click on the “Check my authorization code” button. Finally, click “Continue”.
- Before you click ‘Continue To Checkout’, verify your contact information and other details to complete your domain transfer payment
- After successful payment, you will receive confirmation email. Domain transfers usually take between five and seven days.
Transfer domain from Weebly into Shopify
Weebly, a web hosting service, is based in San Francisco. Weebly’s website builder is free and allows for quick website creation, blog and eCommerce. It also offers customisable templates. Weebly is not as scalable. It is not as easy to grow a business or reach new markets with Weebly than other giants in website design like Shopify and Magento.
No matter what your reason, here are the steps to transfer your domain to Shopify from Weebly
- Log in to Weebly to navigate to the homepage
- Click on “Domains” in the settings menu.
- Scroll down (if necessary) to find the domain that you wish to move.
- Next, uncheck the “Lock Domain” option. Copy the transfer key you receive.
We now shift our focus to Shopify. You can complete the transfer by following these steps:
- Register for Shopify or log in to your account if you don’t already have one.
- Click ‘Online Store’ from the admin panel and then click ‘Domains.
- Next, click “Connect existing domain” and then click “Transfer to your domain”.
- Enter the domain that you wish to transfer to Shopify in the appropriate field. Be sure to remove the “www” at the beginning
- Next, click “Next” and then “Verify domain”.
- Once you get the ‘DOMAIN UNLOCKED’notification, click ‘Next’ to continue;
- Next, enter the authorization code or EPP code into the dialogue box.
- Next, click “Next” and go to the “Buy and Transfer” button.
- Check your email for confirmation messages. You might have to approve the domain transfer via an email depending on which domain provider you are currently using.
This is why Shopify web developers are so beneficial. A company can handle the entire process of migration, and their Shopify web development services will ensure that there is no design or functionality loss.
What is Shopify domain forwarding?
Domain forwarding is the process of linking a third party domain to your Shopify shop. You want the domain DNS settings to point to your store every time someone attempts to access it. You can connect your store to an existing domain so that you can use the same hosting service as before and save yourself unnecessary hassle. You can also contact a Shopify web developer company if you need Shopify Migration Services.
What is the time it takes to transfer the domain from Shopify to your domain?
Although the speed of data transfer can vary from one host to another, most times it takes between 24 hours and 15 days. You can reach the Shopify support or maintenance services of a developer company for more information.
It is not an easy decision to change domain hosting providers. Shopify’s web development services are available to anyone who wants to move to Shopify. Shopify migration services, Shopify Web Design Services, and Shopify Support are all available to you by hiring a Shopify web development company.
Frequently Asked Question
Should my domain be purchased through Shopify?
Shopify domains can have their advantages and disadvantages, but these are usually situational. In other words, only purchase a domain through Shopify if your current hosting provider is satisfactory. Shopify can help you buy one if you don’t have one. For a more detailed plan, you can consult a Shopify web developer company.
What happens to my domain when I close my Shopify shop?
The domain would be shut down along the Shopify store if you bought a standard domain. If you purchased a custom domain, you can transfer it to any Content Management System (CMS) you choose.