Wix Velo, or “Velo by Wix,” is a full-stack development platform established by the firm renowned for being one of the most user-friendly site-building tools available. Wix Velo makes it easier for developers to create more intelligent, efficient solutions by making it simple to design, manage, and deploy them.
While Wix is most recognised for delivering one of the most user-friendly tools for creating code-free websites, it also offers a variety of other things to offer based on your needs. For example, Wix Velo is a Wix add-on to create more complex web pages. This means you can quickly develop dynamic pages, manage databases, and even host user-generated content.
Today, we’ll demonstrate the capabilities of Wix Velo.
Introducing Wix Velo
Wix Velo is a tool that gives Wix editors all of the tools they need to create more immersive sites and apps. To unlock sophisticated enterprise-level projects, you can use your more creative side as well as your coding skills. Users can also save a significant amount of money by halving their typical development time.
You can get the job done much faster by basing hours of coding and maintenance duties with visual UI tools and a short setup environment. There’s even secure hosting available, ensuring that you’ll have the piece of mind you need to protect your software or service.
Several enterprises have already used Velo to help them design, manage, and deploy technology quickly. The solution brings together all modern businesses’ tools to turn their ideas into professional apps. The following are some of the features:
- Database for the collecting of data
- Pages that change over time
- Server for Node.JS
- Collections of external databases
- Monitoring of the site
- Site elements’ connections
- Stores on Wix
- Wix reservations
- Wix CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- API for Wix Payments
- Blog on Wix
- Input from the public
- Integrations with marketing tools
- Exporting and Importing
- Permissions and roles
- Area reserved for members
- Manager of the release
- Permissions and Roles
- Area reserved for members
- Unique interactions
- Wix editor features
- APIs for databases
- HTTP methods
- Modules for the web
Wix Velo has a lot to offer, as you can see. We’ll go into the features in a bit more detail later, but first, let’s go through some of the service’s advantages and disadvantages.
Pros and Cons of Wix Velo
Wix Velo is an intriguing concept from Wix to provide developers with more tools to build fantastic websites and apps. Although it isn’t the most comprehensive coding system available, it is one of the most user-friendly. You’ll be able to create your first database in no time by simply clicking a few clicks.
- There are no technical difficulties with installations or maintenance.
- Wix does the majority of the work in the background.
- With dynamic pages and database hooking, you can make your current Wix investment more powerful and create even more spectacular websites.
- You’ll have access to a plethora of tutorials and how-to articles to get you started.
- If you require extra assistance, there is a community available.
- To keep your website up to date, you’ll have to pay for a plan.
- You don’t have access to the source code for Wix.
- The server-side script will not be able to be written in PHP.
- Only the Wix environment can run the Wix coding.
Wix Velo appears to be a solution tailored to a very specific demographic. Because it isn’t a very versatile coding platform, you won’t be able to migrate your Code from one host to another at any time. To get started, though, you don’t need any coding skills. This approach may be a little basic for you if you have a lot of coding knowledge. However, if you have no prior coding skills, Wix will assist you in diving right in.
The Wix Velo environment is robust, but it has a few drawbacks, including a lack of PHP support. In general, this tool appears to be designed for customers who already have a Wix website and want to make sure they can get the most out of it.
The Database Features
The Wix Velo ecosystem is divided into several components so that you may fully utilise the application’s capabilities. The “database” system will be your first stop.
This is where you’ll be able to save all of your essential documents and information in collections that you can utilise anywhere on your website. The database environment has the following features:
- Dynamic pages are a single-page layout with an infinite number of page possibilities. You can construct pages with their URL, SEO, and content for specific needs.
- Connecting site elements is simple; you don’t even need to write a single line of Code to get started.
- User input and custom forms: You’ll be able to construct custom forms with unique features that submit data to the location of your choice.
- Import or export data: import data from a codebase or collect or export data to another location.
- External database collections: Create virtual collections for services or databases and use the data in your applications.
- Users can utilise database joins in constructing relationships between data sets for master-detail layouts.
Thanks to Wix’s database functionality, you may design various pages, including dynamic pages. You only need to generate an example dynamic content using dummy content and connect the fields to the correct components of the page once you’ve set up a database with Wix utilising the simple backend setup. The rest is handled by Wix programming, which creates distinct pages for each database row.
Databases also allow you to construct layouts that repeat. Select a suitable repeating layout from the menu (Lists and Grids), customise it to your specifications, and connect the elements to the appropriate database column.
Wix even allows webmasters to utilise a form and connect it to a dataset to collect user information and save it in a database. After that, you map the form fields to the appropriate database records, and the data is automatically stored in your database whenever a user submits a form.
The Coding Features
The following collection of functionalities in the Velo by Wix environment is categorised as “code.” These features impact how you interact with Code in the Wix Velo environment. As previously stated, you’ll need some coding experience to get started, though perhaps not as much as you’d need to construct a site or app from the ground up.
The following are some of the features of the Wix coding environment:
- Site monitoring: You can track and examine application failures and logs by integrating third-party logging solutions.
- Create a release manager to help you release content and new versions of your site or application gradually.
- Bespoke interactions: Create custom consumer interactions by adding and coding events to site elements.
- APIs: You may use the Wix Editor Element APIs to build a Code that controls the behaviour of different site elements. Keep in mind that you’ll need a lot of coding experience for this.
- Database APIs: You’ll have access to the Wix Data and Wix Dataset APIs to extend and manipulate data in your collections.
- Web modules: These components allow you to call backend functions directly from client code.
- HTTP Functions: You may use HTTP Functions to create serverless functions that expose your site’s performance as an API.
- Routers: Wix developers can use routers to build bespoke SEO and routing descriptions for individual web pages on their websites.
- Built-in Online IDE: This feature makes coding more productive by using the built-in IDE with code completion and syntax highlighting.
- With access to the Wix editor, you can trigger and test backend functionality within the IDE.
- Velo packages: Experiment with and install Velo’s pre-built code packages to help enhance the speed and functionality of your site.
Wix Velo Review: Business Features
Wix Velo allows you to add custom functionality to your Wix site, which is ideal for anyone who wants to go beyond the basic features of most drag-and-drop solutions. You can customise how users interact with your ecommerce site, add unique elements to your web apps, and more with Wix Velo. In addition, Wix Velo has a set of unique features for businesses that are designed to help you increase conversions.
You’ll find the following HTML templates and web applications in the business dropdown menu:
- Wix Stores: Enhance the functionality of your store pages with these tools.
- Wix Bookings: CSS and HTML solutions for taking customer reservations.
- Wix CRM is a solution for managing your Wix customers’ connections.
- Develop innovative ways to collect payments on your websites with the Wix Pay API.
- Wix blog: Web developers can utilise the blog component to enhance their blog with additional features.
- Professional web designers can assign unique responsibilities to users on a website, such as segregating visitors from administrators.
- Wix users may use Velo to create custom members sections for website subscribers, complete with their landing page and unique components.
The Velo environment’s final section is devoted to marketing. Wix.com, like most website builders, already has several marketing capabilities, such as connections with famous SEO tools to aid in the development of your online presence. In addition, Wix Velo’s landscape enables you to create more unique business plans. The Wix Velo marketing features are focused on the following areas:
Marketing tools and integrations: Like with WordPress, Wix allows you to create a variety of integrations with third-party applications. Integrations with marketing tools can allow you to track the performance of your marketing workflow, set up A/B tests, and more.
For improved insights, businesses can develop custom events triggered by Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, and Google Tag Manager.
For many businesses, being able to tweak your site’s SEO settings could be a game-changer. You’ll be able to change information, SEO patterns, descriptions, and titles, among other things.
Because of Wix’s robust code development environment, most marketing upgrades you make to your website will almost certainly be based on integrations with other industry-leading technologies.
Wix Velo’s Capabilities
Like Wix Corvid and the Wix ADI, Wix Velo is an example of the company’s efforts to make its technology more accessible to a broader audience. However, the Wix website builder isn’t the most advanced web development option on its own.
While you can use the Wix Editor to make some essential modifications to your website and link with Wix Apps, the freedom isn’t anything like what you’d get with Wix Velo and the Wix Velo API environment.
Wix’s coding experience is noticeably easier than learning how to code an entire website from the ground up. You are given several instructions to help you connect the various components. As a result, beginners may manage more significant sites and more sophisticated projects with minimal training. However, there are certain disadvantages.
Learning how to use Wix Velo does not imply that you will code a website from scratch. Instead, you’ll only know how to utilise Velo, which may or may not translate to other open-source site-building projects and related chores. Velo also has a learning curve, even though it is easier to use than coding environments.
Wix Velo: Some Final Thoughts
You may get a lot out of this tool if you have some prior programming experience or are willing to invest a few hours in learning how to use the Wix Velo platform. Wix Velo’s platform is surprisingly easy and adaptable, with many options for creating unique interactions and experiences.
The more you practise navigating the Velo terrain, the more you’ll be able to do new things like making your web apps and creating unique dynamic websites. Velo, on the other hand, isn’t for everyone. For example, PHP server-side development is unavailable, which may be a problem for some professional coders.
Furthermore, learning to utilise Wix Velo will take a lot more time and work than simply establishing a website using the primary Wix platform’s drag-and-drop features or an alternative like Shopify. Velo isn’t the quickest option if you’re searching for straightforward simplicity and speed.
Finally, we’d suggest Wix Velo to someone who likes the functionality of a product like Wix but wishes they could do a little more with it. Of course, you’ll have to commit to working on your studies for a time, but after you’ve mastered the fundamentals, it won’t be long until you see the benefits of your Velo coding skills in action.